The end of 2016 is upon us, 2017 is just around the corner and there are plenty of exciting things happening at Hope’s Place Children’s Advocacy Center! We processed over 400 referrals for services this year…this is 60 more referrals than last year! More children and families to serve means more team members are needed to keep up with the demand. Hope’s Place has added four employees in the last six months to make sure we can serve every child and family that needs us.
We have teamed up with several generous community partners this past year to offer child survivors of sexual abuse and their families free services to begin healing.
- Glockner of Ashland has provided donations to improve our medical room and our group therapy room
- Rite Aid Foundation has provided thousands of dollars through their Kids Cents Charity for services, supplies, and snacks
- Marathon Catlettsburg Refinery has provided donations and volunteer hours to improve our training space and our therapy rooms
- Dinsmore and Shohl LLP of Huntington, WV, has provided support to continue our outreach services so that no child is without services
- Town Square Bank, Kentucky Farmers Bank, and Citizens Bank have provided donations and volunteer hours to cover the cost of medical exams and counseling services for hundreds of children throughout the years
- The Foundation for the Tri-State Community has provided grant opportunities to add a sand tray therapy room and a medical records room.
- Kentucky Colonels has provided grant opportunities for us to offer a new sensory room
- The Outcast Off-road Club has provided thousands of dollars over the past few years to support children and families
- Chick-fil-A has supported our efforts to raise money to continue our legacy of free services for any child or family that has suffered child sexual or physical abuse.
- Dr. Lauren Miller and Dr. Jessica Wilson from Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital donate their time to provide free specialized medical exams to abused children all year long.
There are so many other individuals and businesses that have given time and money to Hope’s Place Children’s Advocacy Center and we are thankful for all the support we get throughout the year!
Our prevention efforts continue and more people than ever understand that child sexual abuse can happen right here in our own neighborhood…people are aware and people are watching out for children. We think the numbers of sexual abuse survivors is growing because more people have been trained to recognize and respond to child sexual abuse…more people know what to look for and know how to report suspected abuse. Our need for funds never decreases, we provide top-quality services in a child-friendly atmosphere at no charge to families…we need your support! Hope’s Place wants all survivors of child sexual abuse to get the services they need, when they need them and we never want parents or children to worry about the cost of that care.
The average cost of six months of outpatient services for a child survivor of sexual abuse is approximately $2,000. This may include a specialized medical exam with any necessary testing ($1,000), a forensic interview ($250), advocacy services ($150) and weekly counseling sessions for an average of three months ($600–$50 a session for 12 sessions).
Please support Hope’s Place by going to our website and donating or call us to set up a monthly pledge amount or stop at our Greenup Avenue location to drop off your donation. Hope’s Place is a recognized charity so all financial donations are tax deductible. Please call 606-325-4737 for ways you can make a difference in a child’s life!
We hope you and yours have a safe and happy New Years!
-Lisa Phelps, Executive Director